16 April 2018

A day out

Now I'm not an intrepid traveller although I don't find hopping on planes a huge problem but I DO get very nervous about going places in the car (and bus and train). So, when I was told about the Gloucester tatting day I decided that I'd go. This is the third time but each time I get very nervous about driving there. I don't mind if I'm on my own but the whole thing is a 'big deal' for me. BUT I'm learning to trust satnav now and I'm getting better at it.

So an hour and a quarter after setting out I arrived at the venue. It's always a very relaxed day with a vendor with lots of goodies. I sat opposite Margaret who entertained us with stories of her doing a zip wire trip for her 80th birthday. 

To my delight Rosemarie Peel was there too.  I hadn't seen her for many many years so we had a lot to catch up on!!! With her permission I've added a photo of her below. We spoke about my addiction to her pattern (Rachel) which I've made so many times and she said she'd got a few copies left of the book so if you want more information please do email me and I'll pass you on to her. Rachel is on the third picture down (the cover of the book is the second picture or this link).  Oh there are lots of other designs in there that are great too - it's just that I love Rachel best.

Talking to Barbara who was the vendor (Tatting and Design) she said she'd got stocks of the Dora Young book (All New Knotless Tatting) available but it isn't on her web site which she's still getting sorted out. I was tempted (and gave in) to buy a ball of the Liz metallic and another cotton one which is the Lizbeth Maple Butter and this was after me telling BC3 FIRMLY that we didn't need anymore threads!!!

There was also another lovely lass there called Michelle who wanted to learn to shuttle tat. She quickly got the hang of it after having struggled with needle tatting and finding it wasn't what she wanted to do as her gran had done shuttle tatting and needle didn't give her the results she wanted.  I'm just hoping she carries on with it and that I'll see her again in September at the next meeting.  I enjoyed her company too.

Freely available all day was tea, coffee and CAKE!!!!  

A big, huge, humungous thank you must go to Linda Williams who organised the whole day.  Not many people get me 'out and about' in my car but Linda does and I hope to be there in September too.  So, all you folk who live in or near Gloucester here in the UK, please think about joining us in September.



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jane you are so very brave, driving your car I mean. Well done. I don’t drive far. Just around home and even then I get out of the car trembling. I admire anyone who drives. I attempting to go to a local Tatting and lace day in Malever, Tuesday afternoon.

Unknown said...

Hi Jane you are so very brave, driving your car I mean. Well done. I don’t drive far. Just around home and even then I get out of the car trembling. I admire anyone who drives. I attempting to go to a local Tatting and lace day in Malever, Tuesday afternoon.

Maureen said...

I think the drive was definitely Worth the Effort!

Jane McLellan said...

Sounds like a wonderful day out!

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, Janet, it would be lovely if you could make it to the next Gloucester tatting day in September. It's not a bad drive and I've now learned how to listen to my best friend who directs me there. My sat nav!!!!!! My next big solo (apart from the sat nav) is to my daughter's near Ledbury. Hope to see you one day.

Sewicked said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. Say hi to Ms. Peel from all of us (okay, maybe just from me).

Bernice said...

What fun to get together with other tatters and teach too.

Sally Kerson said...

Sorry to have missed being your passenger, will try for September!

Lelia said...

Thx for sharing. I have that same book. It is wonderful and the diagrams are outstanding. Sounds like a fun outting ; )

Alka Gudadhe said...

Oh! I like the idea of all tatters meet. I would love to attend such meeting if it is in India. Happy tatting.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.