25 October 2017

New hobby?

Well I doubt it'll take off completely for me but I must say this is more challenging than it looked when I first saw it!!!

It's needle felting.  No, NOT needle tatting before you misread this and think I've lost the plot!!!

I'd already started thinking about needle felting some time ago and my friend Louise and I wandered into a shop in Alcester a couple of months ago and were browsing the craft section. I saw some needles for this craft so bought the equipment. Cheap as chips (as 'they' say).

A few weeks later Lou and I went to a wonderful open afternoon that the local Dyers, Spinners and Weavers (link to their blog) were putting on at a local venue so we wandered down there. Really only to support our friend from Crafternoon called 'Spinning Jane'. That nickname has been adopted to differentiate her from 'Tatting Jane'!!!!  I've found this link to the blog where you can see Lou and I learning needle felting.  Lou's got her back to the camera, unfortunately.  In fact further down on the page you can see 'Spinning Jane' teaching spinning with a drop spindle too.  It was a truly splendid afternoon in good company and with lots of interesting things going on.

During the afternoon Lou and I took two workshops one of which was for making Dorset buttons and the other was needle felting. The top is what I achieved 'on the day' and the bottom heart is my second attempt at home. I'll be interested to know where this is taking me - I know that BC3 already has ideas!!!!

7 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

I've done wet felting but not needle felting, but from what I've seen it has a lot of possibilities. Could be combined with tatting perhaps??

Jane Eborall said...

That’s where BC3 is heading, Jane!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I've watched needle felting demonstrations, and I think it's fascinating! It will be fun to see what you do with this new hobby!

craftie sylvie said...

I've never tried needle felting but I'd love to (VERY BIG sigh) too few hours in my days. The heart looks really nice :)

God's Kid said...

Looks pretty cool! :)

Marla said...

Terrific! I’m interested on where you go with this! I’ve had my set of felting needles for almost a year ..... and even a small pack of wool..... just haven’t had the gumption or nerve to do anything with it yet 😳

SKFuller said...

I've been interested in it but never had cone any until going to the Oklahoma Lace Guild's Lace Embrace this month; took a mini class on Needle Felting with a kit to make a Snowflake Design. I really enjoy doing this because it is so relaxing to do - a real stress reliever that allows for the mind to roam and flow freely with imagination, ideas and dreams.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.