13 November 2014

Hanky edging


This hanky has been my 'go to' project for months and months. I finally finished it a week ago and now I can share it too!!! 

I like to have something to pick up when my brain stops working on what I'm doing. Usually it's a hanky nowadays. I've no idea why I've chosen those to do as there must be something else less boring to fill that time. I wouldn't sit down and decide just to do a hanky but they're fine for now and then! 

This one is good 'tatting wise' but the quality of the handkerchief isn't that great. Not sure why as I'm sure I've used that make before.  

I always use a size 80 thread for handkerchiefs and the edgings have to be wide enough to be seen and done in one row. I couldn't bear the boredom of going round the same hanky twice.  I always sew the edging onto the fabric - never work directly onto it.  That way I can be sure it'll fit and also if I muck up the linen/cotton then I can cut the edging away and put it on another piece of fabric.  Makes sense to me!!! 

11 comments:

Pigmini said...

I recognise that pattern.... even if the colours are different... it's residing in my bag at the moment... 2 sides almost finished, 2 to go!!! Also in 80 thread.

muskaan said...

This is Gorgeous ! The colours work well together & superb pattern .
Nothing like tatting for functionality till BC3 kicks in again (and it is never at rest for too long) :-)

Tally Tatty said...

That is a very nice hanky, Jane, very fashionable colors!

Madtatter80 said...

I have started 3 hankies that I haven't finished and love this edging design I can see that different thread colors would bring out different elements in this pretty pattern, so where can we find this pattern? :)

Ninetta said...

It's sooo lovely, but I'm partial to hankies and size 80 thread... and lilac too :)

Crazy Mom! said...

Lovely as always, Jane. You do beautiful work.

Jane Eborall said...

Madtatter80 - the edging is here. http://janeeborall.freeservers.com/EdgingCrown.pdf I didn't recognise it myself!!!!

Jane McLellan said...

Spectacular hanky.

God's Kid said...

Looks fabulous!!!! :)

YorkieSue said...

Lovely hankie Jane and I certainly approve of the colours :-) One day I must tat round a hankie... Not today though have t'other stuff to play with... Checking out that copyright infringement you told me about with me new shuttles... ;-)

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, YorkieSue. I wouldn't be able to sit down and 'just tat' a hanky edging or it would drive me bonkers. I like it as an end of an evening relaxation!!! Thanks for checking that out for me. Look forward to hearing your comments.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.