21 June 2013

Thread colours


As you've probably gathered over the years - I love colours.  I've no idea how to work with them and have never studied colour charts or the likes.  I rely on BC3 and just being brave with them!!!  I do think hard about what goes together as I pull them out of the cupboard or thread drawers and usually find that very few 'don't work'!!!  Strangely what looks 'good' on the balls often looks dreadful coming off the shuttle!!!!  Many a time I change my mind!

I've now got a vast collection of Lizbeth threads along with the older generations of Coats, Manuela, Flora, Floretta and many more.  A few weeks ago I 'helped' a friend who was selling her Lizbeth threads off as she's closing her online and 'real life' shop.  I bought threads that I didn't like.  Well, when they arrived, I realised that they were lovely.  Apart from one which is a bit pale for me the rest will get used - eventually!!!!

Below is Denim Whisper (Lizbeth) which I've had for some time.  On the ball I didn't like it.  Not one bit.  When I started working with it I fell in love!!!  Here's a small portion of what I'm working on at the moment and I've paired it up with a plain Manuela (another I didn't like for ages) to get a stunning combination.   

Must send BC3 to 'colour school' for lessons!!!


7 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Interesting. Perhaps I should do a test tat of threads I've been given that I don't really like. Perhaps I'll like them more in action!

Jane Eborall said...

Sometimes it works the other way round too!!! Not often though!!!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Hmmm... seems like a good reason to own at least one ball of every singe color. I'll have to get working on that!

IsDihara said...

No, don't send BC3 to color school, it will ruin his(her?) intuitive genius. I say, if it isn't broken, don't try to "fix" it.

God's Kid said...

Wonderful colors!! :)

tattrldy said...

I'm not very brave when it comes to choosing colors. I have quite a few but am usually hesitant to try new ones and combinations. I need to take lessons from you and BC3 - you, know, just jump off into the deep end and go for it! ☺

Wendy said...

I used to be a 'plain white' tatter as I think you were once. Now I love the colours.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.