29 June 2013

Needle tatting 1

I can date this picture - it was around the 1970/80's and was done shortly after I'd bought Ed and Selma Morin's new and revolutionary needle tatting book (and the needles too) from America.  In those days I had to buy dollars from the bank and then send them off with a letter to the address I'd found.  This had to go by surface mail as airmail was far too expensive.  It was my first sighting of needle tatting since Ed developed it to help Selma continue a craft she loved.  She was a shuttle tatter who sadly lost her sight.  As far as I can find out this way of making knots may have been tried earlier in the century but obviously didn't 'catch on' for reasons which I can understand!
I quite liked this picture but it never got finished off or framed as you can see.  I was already making the giraffes as earrings in a size 20 thread.  I thought I was going to get on OK with needles - BUT when I tried with a fine needle and fine (as in size 20) thread I realised it was NOT the same as shuttle tatting.  Too 'puffy' for me and not what I call 'lacy' looking.  

Another day I'll show you a large project that I needle tatted but be prepared - it's UGLY.  REALLY ugly.

13 comments:

Tatfully Yours said...

Interesting read.....but I am not feeling the LOVE I should when one talks about needle tatting!!!!!
Kelly

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, Kelly, I'm so pleased you don't!!!!! Ruth and I are going to HAVE to gang up on you!!! We need to send you on a 'shuttle conversion' course!!!!

Tatfully Yours said...

Sounds like brain washing to me!!!!!!

Ladytats said...

That is a nice picture, but I too feel as you do about needle tatting. There is some very nice needle tatting out there, but much of it does look "sloppy" to me. I really dislike being a snob, but can't seem to help it.

Jane Eborall said...

Ladytats - then I'm a 'snob' too. I'd like to call it being a realist though!!!!
Tatfully Yours - you've got me sussed at last. I'm trying to brain wash you. Thanks to Ruth too for helping me!!!

Mistene Vickers said...

I've tried needle tatting several times, and no matter what needle and thread size I use, or how I adjust my tension, it always looks loose and puffy. I wish I did like the way it looked because I think it's fun to do. But, I'll stick with my shuttles.

StringyDogs said...

Too hard to "bling" a needle.

Jane Eborall said...

That's what I've found, Mistene, I've never got mine to look good without putting a dreadful strain on my hands. They hurt like hell when I've had a 'go' at it.
StringyDogs - you're SOOOOO silly!!!! What a lovely thought trying to 'bling' needles. Guess the bling would get in the way of the knots!!!

Margarets designer cards said...

Never tried needle tatting, I think I am too old in the tooth to try now, I did buy a book and a needle last year as grand daughter thought she might be able to do it better and I thought if she wants help I am going to be no good at helping her. In the end she could not work it out and she went back to shuttles, the needle book is still sitting in my basket of beads etc. I think that's where it might stay.
Margaret

God's Kid said...

Nice tatted picture!! :)

Mrs. Fink said...

Agreed! (Although I am in the middle of trying to teach myself the shuttle...it's a scientific experiment) :)

Mrs. Fink said...

Agreed! Go needle tatting! (Although I am currently trying to pick up shuttle tatting as well...as part of comparative study, of course.) :)

Mrs. Fink said...

I think it is very, very cute, needle tatting or not.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.