23 December 2011

Bah Humbug - Christmas!

What does this time of the year mean to me?  Well, as a non believer in anything it's often been something I'd rather 'do without'.  I've had some terrible Christmases like most people, I guess.  

Nowadays I find it quite useful.  By that I mean it's a good excuse to buy presents, eat, drink and see the grandkids.  Really, though, I consider Christmas to be a good 'anchor point' to get things 'done by'!!!   

So this year the main thing that we decided back in November (or was it October?) needed doing 'before Christmas' was a new front door.  Easy - just ring our favourite 'window and door' people and get a quote.  Fine, quote arrived, deposit paid and then we realised there were cables running through the frame of the old door.  Importantly the telephone cable!!!  Telephone means internet and no internet would mean total disaster!  So a day was spent trying to organise that and now everything has had to be postponed til January!!!  That's 'after Christmas'!!!

The garden reorganisation DID happen and that's looking good.

Then there's been the washing machine which sprung a leak this week.  Mind, that took two attempts to get sorted!!

Still so far it beats the years I've spent dealing with the 'man on the roof' incident (trying to get a crime number from the police wasn't easy), trying to speak to NHS Direct (on Christmas Day), having to sort out plumbing problems for my dad (again on Christmas Day) and last year spending Christmas Eve in A & E after digging the car out of the snow!!!

7 comments:

Anne said...

You are going to have an enjoyable Christmas this year, as all your problems have reared their ugly heads and you have, hopefully, dealt with them!!

Happy Christmas to you, Nick, Sally and her husband.

Maureen said...

Christmas means COOKING - lots and lots of kitchen time!
I've got it down to a fine art, after all these years, but it seems that the family grows and multiplies each year - we're up to 18 now, if they all come - and that's a lot of mince pies to bake....
Enjoy the day, however you choose to spend it.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Seems like something always happens at the holidays to put a kink in things. LOL! Now that my kids are older, Christmas has lost some of the excitement. But I look at it as a time to spend with family and relaxing. I'm letting go of all the pressure to do cards for the second year in a row. That is a relief. I just call and talk to the person who I want to send holiday wishes to.

I wish you a time of peace and relaxation at this time. You're the best Jane!

((HUGS))

Fox said...

So a new door will open for you in the New Year! What could be better - except perhaps a washing machine that works! Hope you have a great holiday season, Jane, however you humbug it!
Fox : ))

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks Fox - I'll humbug away with my tongue in my cheek!!!!

Karen said...

So what's happening? We had to replace our refrigerator this week. It was so old the repairman wasn't an option for us. I'm thankful it lasted so many years. Enjoy time with family, Karen in OR

Jane Eborall said...

It's the gremlins, Karen, that's what it is!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.