21 April 2009

I'm SO excited

What is the saying? Little things please little minds? That's me. A (not so little) thing with a little mind. I love it when inspiration hits me and makes me excited.

Remember I was going to make a new 'line' in bags? Well I looked and looked online for ideas but couldn't find any that I really, really liked. I thought of a Dorset bag and then cried off as they are bulky when finished and not all that suitable for popping in another bag. In the end I decided on a Dolly bag which would be something like this.

The first three pictures below show the first trial one. I like it a lot but don't love it - YET!!! It's just the right size but if you look at the third picture which is looking down onto the inside (incidentally it should show as navy blue) you can see I put a pocket right across the middle. This is fixed and could be useful but I DON'T like it!!!

In the last picture below that you can see the next idea in progress. The bag will look the same as the first one BUT this is going to be a sure winner, I think. The last picture is showing the lining and how I will put small 'pockets' on the inside of the bag.

If people have got time and inclination to let me know what else they carry in a tatting bag then I will incorporate it into the lining. I can go no further until brain cell # 3 makes the final decision.

Oh, I'll also be putting some stiffener into the base of the bag so that it stands firmly on it's butt!!!

Oh, before I go and get on with the day. Please go and visit my sister's new blog for more tatting.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Jane, this will be awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product. I have one like it that I made when I first started tatting. Maybe this will help, I put an old cd in the bottom to make it stiff.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Lovely bag, Jane! I really like your deeper pockets that hold scissors and crochet hook!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I love it when inspiration hits too! In fact I live for it! Congrats on your excitement. :o)

Stephanie said...

That bag is fantastic! I'll take one, maybe two. I have little bitty one I found at a souvenir shop, that has pockets around the sides. It's too small for anything more than a two or three small balls of thread. In the pockets, I carry my little hook set, a small set of snips, a couple extra shuttles, tweezers (for opening rings), and a small needle case. To make it stand up, it has an old CD in the base.

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, everybody. I didn't think of an old CD for the base but I also want to make something that's washable too so I'll be using some special stiffener that's washable and dry cleanable. Thanks to a visit from a couple of friends this morning (one a sewer) I have had advice on making the pockets much better to allow for them being on the inside. Can't wait to get started but it won't be today as life has 'got in the way'!!!!!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Hi Jane, OHHH I like the bag you made. As for what I keep in my tatting bag, crochet hook, snips, pencil, post it notes, shuttles, picot gauges, and if a bottle of wine would fit, that would be nice too! LOL!!

What is your sister's name? I'm off to see her blog now. Glad you got her to start a blog. It's always nice to add new tatters to our group.

Happy Tatting!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.