24 February 2014

Book review - part one!

Some years ago I had the pleasure of working with Bobbie Demmer on her idea of bauble tatting which you can find on my technique page.

I made a bobble or two at that time and then as ever got distracted and left it again. 

A few weeks ago I had an email from Randy and Gary Houtz asking if I'd mind reviewing their new book with baubles included. Well, what does an OG do except say YES PLEASE. I love their work at the best of times and it was buying their revolutionary first book on the Self Closing Mock Ring when it was published in 1999 that brought my tatting out of the doldrums. They claim it's not their idea but at least they revived it to become what it is today - an integral part of modern tatting designs. 

To sidetrack slightly - I met Gary many years ago at Rosemarie Peel's house and in the space of perhaps twenty minutes he'd made me think LOADS about my own tatting and what I'd been happily doing for so many years. Gary showed me the daisy picot technique and the advantages of front side back side tatting too. He did NOT convince me to start using the magic thread trick as I'd had so many failures with that in the past!!!! I'm a stubborn old git at times. 

In 2012 I had the great pleasure of meeting Randy at Palmetto Tat Days and believe me - that was as good as meeting his udder brother. Try asking either of them which one is 'shuttle brother 1' and you'll get the same answer - confusing the issue even further!! 

Anyway the book duly arrived and I started thumbing through it. I'll tell you more tomorrow - need to build up the excitement for you that I felt looking through it myself!!!!

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Tantalising! - I am waiting for Part 2 already!

Ladytats said...

They have good stuff. I have several of their books. Thanks for the review

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, Ladytats, there's LOTS more to come!!!!

YorkieSue said...

You lucky so & so :-) I love the pair of 'em and they think waaay outside the box - just to do yer head in! Anyways... successful carrot dangle girl... Look forward to tomorrow :-) Sue Hanson

Monica Braxton said...

Oh Jane. You are such a tease. I can't wait to see what comes of the book and your thoughts.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Oh, dear! I feel another spending spree coming on!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.